Jailbreaking is a great way to customize your iPhone/iPad, it allows iOS users to have access to the system files and perform tasks that are banned by Apple for the general users. Although jailbreaking is illegal, there are plenty of ways to achieve the jailbreak even on the latest version of iOS. If you have jailbroken your iPhone and enjoyed the features that Cydia offers, you can be happy by now.
However, the jailbreak procedure is not all bugs free. For instance, the Pangu jailbreak tool for iOS 9.3.3 comes with one common issue that causes trouble for many iOS users. This error is not harmful to your iPhone/iPad, but while using Cydia, the user might encounter the “failed in buffer_write(fd) (8, ret=-1)”error. The reason behind this error is that the system partition is being used to install the tweaks on but it does not have enough space. As a result, when you install a tweak from Cydia, it will display the above error. However, a fix for this error has been released and the procedure is very easy. If you have done the jailbreak by yourself, you could easily carry out this procedure.
How to fix the “failed in buffer_write(fd) (8, ret=-1)” error
You should keep reading the following instructions to know how to remove this error and a get a fully functioning of Cydia.
- You need to open the Cydia app to begin the process. From home screen, switch to the Sources tab from the bottom pane.
- Tap the Edit button, and then a new screen will show up, tap on ‘Add’. Enter the following repo URL in the new box: https://coolstar.org/publicrepo
- Once you enter the URL, Cydia will look for the repository address. Once found, the installation of the repository will be shown on the display.
- Next, you search for ‘Stashing for iOS 9.2 – 9.3.3” on the Search It is a jailbreak tweak for the above mentioned error, this tweak will modify the system and make Cydia work normally.
- Once done, Respring your iOS device to finish the installation process without any memory space issues.
Note: The above method might not work if it is not properly executed. In such cases, find and install the latest version of Cydia, this will resolve the stashing issue.
Alternative Method to Fix this Error on Cydia
There is another alternative method that you could try. This method requires your iPhone/iPad to have File Conduit 2 tweak installed through Cydia, and iFunbox sofware to connect your iOS device to the computer. Next, open iFunbox and then visit through the files on your iPhone/iPad, find and rename the file at the directory: /.cydia_no_stash to /.cydia_no_stash-. Disconnect your device, launch Cydia and it will start preparing the file system. After it is done, you can install any packages and tweaks you want without problems.
Above are two simple tips to help you fix failed in buffer_write(fd) (8, ret=-1) error. However, if it still does not work you should restore your iPhone using iTunes and start jailbreaking from the scratch.