You love reading books, but purchasing books can get expensive. There is now a solution for you that is to read the book directly on your iPhone/iPad. But how can we read books on our iPhone or iPad? Greatly thanks to Overdrive’s apps, you can now do it with ease. You can easily borrow ebooks and audiobooks from your local library and then enjoy them on your iPhone/iPad.
Overdrive includes three different apps for iOS devices. The original app, Overdrive, currently still works well, but two new apps were released, which are designed to be more user-friendly. The company recommends Libby for public library users and Sora for school libraries. This article will focus on the Libby app.
Here’s how you can borrow books and audiobooks with Libby.
Download Libby from App Store
First, make sure you already have a library card before getting started with Libby.
- Next, tap on Yes when the AI personality and Libby ask for your library card.
- Tap on Copy From My Other Device…, or Yes, Guess My Library to allow helping in finding your closest library.
- Now, select the place you want your books to be sent to. You can allow them to deliver to Kindle or the Libby app.
Enter your library’s website
The next step you should do is to enter your library website. To do so:
- Tap on Enter The Library section
- Log in with your library cardor you can get a digital card if you need one. After signing in, you’ll see the number of holds and loans that you currently have on the account.
- Tap on Enter The Library
How to Find a book to read
- Tap on Preferences tab to select your search parameters.
- Choose a format(books or audiobooks), language, compatibility, and availability. There is also an option to sort by relevance, popularity, date author, and others
- Tap on the magnifying glass at the top if you want to search for a specific title, author.
- Now, select Explore to browse to titles if you don’t have a specific book. You can also scroll down to start browsing.
Borrow or hold the book
- Once you choose a book, tap on Borrow for downloading the book immediately when it’s available.
- If it’s not available, there will be an option for Place Hold. You will then be alerted by email after your book is available. If Kindle is chosen as your default reader, you’ll be redirected to Amazon to complete the process. From there, sign in with your Amazon credentials and then select the device you want the book delivered to.
- Tap on Get Library Book
Read your book
Keep in mind that the last page will not be synced between Libby and Kindle, so you have to decide which app you want to read from and then stick with that.
- If you use the Kindle app, launch the Kindle app and tap book’s cover.
- If you like reading in the Libby app, tap on Shelf at the bottom and select your favorite book.