Your emotions from losing a text message might be disappointed. Deleting an important date or not seeing a final message from your beloved people, or losing text messages might be an emotional situation. Before taking it to the Apple store for restoration, or getting some help online, there are some basic steps you can start with:
- Use iCloud (iOS only)
- Use iTunes (iOS only)
- Use a third-party software
Restore Text Messages from iCloud
iCloud is normally the fastest way to bring lost text messages back without the need for a third-party app or restoring a previous backup. However, since iCloud doesn’t back up all text messages, the following method might not work. You will need to move to the next method if it does not work, so it is a quick process either way.
- Visit icloud.com and log in with your Apple ID and password.
- Click on Text Messages. (If it isn’t there, your messages could not be backed up)
- Search the messages to get the ones you want to recover.
- Go to your iPhone’s Settings > [your account] > iCloud.
- Disable Text Messages
- From the popup, choose: ‘Keep on My iPhone’.
- Toggle Text Messages back on
- Tap on ‘Merge’, and wait for a few minutes. After that, the deleted text messages will appear on your iPhone again.
Restore Text Messages from iTunes
If you cannot recover your text messages using iCloud, or there is not any message showing up, then you should recover your messages from your iTunes account. But you should be aware that it will overwrite the data on your phone. Therefore, if you have important data saved on your phone, you should first transfer it elsewhere before starting this method. To do so:
- Plug your iPhone into your PC or Mac computer. iTunes will then open automatically. If not, manually launch it on your computer
- Click on the iPhone icon in the top left-hand corner.
- Choose ‘Restore backup’
- Everything that you previously saved will replace the data on your device.
If none of two above methods helps you, the last resort is using a third-party app. (Android users can also start with this step).
Restore Text Messages Using a Third-Party App
The method that iOS users need to resort to is the best way of recovering text messages. There is currently a lot of third party software available, offering to recover text messages. One of them is PhoneRescue from iMobie, which is also great third-party software. Specifically, the software is free to download and just costs a small fee for Pro version.
Here is the step-by-step process to use the software
- Go to the Download Page and choose your device’s brand
- After downloading, connect your iPhone to your PC or Mac.
- From your computer, choose the types of files you want to recover and click on Next. You must click on ‘Trust’ when there are permissions on your phone.
Your iPhone will then be backed up on your computer and you can look for different files and choose which ones you want to restore.